The Office of Housing made us take down our loft. Meanies. While most of the loft came down easily, there were 3 screws that were just not coming out. So we took to alternative methods like unscrewing the screw by spinning the supporting leg like a windmill (see picture below), and prying the boards apart like a lever to increase the hole size and just have the screw slide out. The timing corresponded perfectly with the chapter on screws and fasteners that I am learning about in my Design of Machine Elements class. I think my professor would have be appalled with my de-lofting.

Scannable Document-1

Fun Fact: A nut must only cover 3 threads on a bolt to effectively hold.

Also, the people that told us they were buying the loft were not responding to us, and hall storage was leaving the next morning. We definitely did not want to be stuck with a loft, so we contacted the next girl in line for the loft and had her help us move the rest of the pieces to the basement. But then we found out that the first people were still taking the loft, and we felt really bad for making the second girl move the loft pieces and getting her hopes up, so we took the easy way out of the issue and just left her candy and an apology note at her door.

After that, I could not get the bed ends back on my loft because the bed got bent. Imagine having all this extra room under the loft for storage, and now absolutely none. Our room was a disaster. In one last attempt to jam the bed back into the bed ends, I dropped the heavy, metal bed on the top of my foot. I waited for that initial pain to stop and then put a little pressure on my foot to check if it was broken. It was not. But I was done, and not to mention really, really frustrated. I am not a pleasant person when frustrated.

…which leads us to Z suggesting we make a fort, so we did and everything was better. The End.

IMG_4088

IMG_4086

My brother kindly smashed the beds back together for me with a rubber mallet. Now our room is a little more organized.
My brother kindly smashed the beds back together for me with a rubber mallet. Now our room is a little more organized.
Advertisements